February 12, 2007

Introduce yourself

I have been a pretty withdrawn person in my life. My routine was to speak to those whom I already had an acquaintance with and avoid conversing with anyone else. It took me many years to realize how silly bashfulness is (I don't say that to offend). Some of my high school regrets come from this ridiculous attribute. Fortunately I have the future to look forward to, and hopefully I will be able to put this characteristic behind me.

One day in high school my friend took the opportunity to go and introduce herself to another student that was new to the area (because my hometown area was so small new students were easy to pick out). This simple act has always astounded me. Friendships are made after introduction, and my friend was quick to begin another.

Graduation was one of the most fun times of my life (that includes the Senior Trek). It was also the most difficult time for realizations. The biggest regret I had hit me while practicing for graduation night. I had the great opportunity to sit next to one of my best friends. However, on the other side of me was a guy that I did not know well and rarely said anything to. I tried to be cordial as I would when talking to anybody, but he was the better. The young man is paralyzed from a car accident, but he still had great manners and was more willing to be friendly. He teased that if his legs were in the way to just kick them back over because it wouldn't hurt. I laughed at his joke, and was happy that he considered me as a friend. Right then I realized I had missed out on one friendship. Who knows how many opportunities I had passed up.

So, it has been my goal to make sure I am more outgoing and introduce myself whenever possible. I have even been on a date with a friend who got upset with me because I took the opportunity to introduce myself before he could perform the introductions. Maybe it was rude of me to do that, but I have come to believe that it is better that I just go forth. I also find that if I am open to people I have more fun and enjoy myself a lot more.

Now, I am not perfect... I realized that I don't always talk to people easily, but I know that I will get better as time goes on. I am not going to let go of the opportunity I've been given to meet other people... I will try to warm up to other people as quickly as I can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I like this one. I am just like that except, I haven't gotten over getting to know new people. I mean I have met know people, but I am not into it very much. I guess I am just not ready for a big change in my life. I like things they way they were and are now. I don't want them to change anymore. I like this and it has made me thing about my own life.
thanks.
Mavanie

Unknown said...

Well you're successful then! You seem like one of the more outgoing and sociable people I've known. ...so it is a little hard for me to imagine you being bashful!?